Family Law

   Separation and Divorce

  • Creating a healthier future for couples and families

    Are you going through the turmoil and confusion caused by a separation or divorce? We are a team of independent professionals who offer you a guide to a resolution that will meet your needs.

    Our inter-disciplinary team can help minimize the negative impacts of separation and divorce. We have the experience and expertise to inform and support you in making sound and long-lasting decisions.

    • Cost-effective
    • Respectful, dignified and confidential
    • Collaborative problem-solving
    • Child-centred
    • Avoids court
    • Individualized solutions that meet your needs


    Separation and Divorce Solutions provides a step-by-step, 3-stage process:

    * Stage 1 includes:

    • Meeting with a lawyer, coach and financial advisor
    • An understanding of your needs and goals
    • Financial documentation necessary for your separation process
    • A roadmap to your settlement

    At the end of Stage 1, you will have achieved a preliminary assessment of your legal, financial & emotional needs and will be ready to advance to settlement, using the dispute resolution option best suited for you.

    The cost of Stage 1 is $1850 plus tax, per person.

    * Stage 2:

    • Implementation of the dispute resolution process you and your team created together in Stage 1
    • Introduction of child specialist and other professionals as required
    • Your team will assist you in estimating and managing the cost of Stage 2

    * Stage 3:

    • Final resolution and written agreement or award

    WE ARE:

    Lawyers: Aesha Faux (250-388-3821), Elaine Davies (250-382-1370), Elise Schopper-Brigel (250-590-4840), Marge Thompson (778-433-8076), Peter Golden (250-361-3131)

    Coaches/Child Specialists: Bob Blank (250-888-2170), Cally Farr (250-388-6684), Charlotte Sutker (250-388-5826), Marnie Olchowecki (250-813-3210)

    Financial Advisors: Dan Greco (250-727-9191 ext. 259), Loretta Burns (250-479-9738)

    Divorce ends a marriage, but it doesn’t end a family

  • 1. Identify and manage emotions: If possible, help your friend identify his or her emotions, and then move on to managing these emotions. Grief, anger, and despair at the end of a relationship are expected; however, some of the actions resulting from those emotions can be very damaging. Your friend needs to recognize that anger is part of the normal cycle of grief, and that he can choose healthy and unhealthy ways to react to his anger. Encourage your friend or family member to seek help from a counselor or divorce coach. Extended health plans or employee assistance plans usually cover counseling or psychologist appointments. Community organizations offer counseling, some with fees on a sliding scale (e.g. Family Services of Greater Victoria).

    2. Seek professional advice early: Encourage your family member to seek appropriate professional advice early on. Often financial, legal or parenting advice is needed; your friend or family member will be less vulnerable if properly advised. Competent advice at early stages leads to more realistic expectations. Many aspects of family law are objective – and the sooner your friend has accurate advice about property division, spousal and child support, the better. Some of the financial aspects of separation can be complicated, such as the division of pensions and business assets.

    3. Give your time and energy: Time is often short for those in the bewildering stages of separation. The emotional impact is draining and the financial consequences can be challenging. It is difficult to find the extra time to gather documents, meet with professionals or attend court appearances. Your friend may need help finding resources such as parenting programs, counseling for children, or a new place to live. Consider how you can give your time and energy.

    4. Value the other parent: If your friend has children, help your friend recognize the value of the other parent, and that their former spouse’s relationships with their children will continue (except in rare circumstances.) Likewise, their relationship with their former spouse as a parent will continue. There are many resources to help parents make the transition from life partners to co-parents.

    5. Don’t encourage your friend to dwell on the faults of his or her spouse: Many people are extremely upset about their spouse’s behaviour, especially if such behaviour caused the relationship to end. Spousal misconduct is not significant to the legal matters of property division and support. Abuse or addiction issues may be relevant to parenting and should generally be addressed in that context.

             © 2015 Karen Henry, LLB. [email protected], West Coast Family Law Centre, 1179 Fort Street, Victoria, BC, Canada, V8V 3L1

  • There are three grounds for divorce in Canada:

    1. Living separate and apart for one year.
    This is the most common ground for a divorce order; a separation starts when one spouse clearly
    communicates to the other that he or she wants to separate from the other spouse. It is not necessary (and often not financially feasible) to live in separate residences immediately after separation. If you can manage to live in the same residence with your spouse, after one of you has clearly stated his or her intention to separate, you may be better able to plan how you will share parenting responsibilities, organize your finances and choose the best process to resolve issues arising from your separation.

    2. Adultery.
    This is not a common ground for divorce, as the adultery must be proved to the court, adding to the cost of obtaining a divorce. Some spouses who have committed adultery, namely had sex with one person while married to another, may be willing to swear an affidavit admitting to their adultery. An affidavit is evidence under oath in written form. If the adultery is not admitted by the spouse who committed the adultery, other witnesses must give sworn evidence regarding the adultery. Under BC law, spousal misconduct, such as adultery has no relevance to the issues of property division and spousal support.

    3. Physical and/or mental cruelty.
    These are not common grounds for divorce. Like adultery, cruelty must be proved for the court, adding to the cost. The cruelty must not be minor, but so bad as to make continued cohabitation with your spouse intolerable. Spousal misconduct, such as cruelty, has no bearing on the division of property or support matters under BC law. It may be very relevant to parenting issues. If a relationship was violent or abusive, a professional should be consulted regarding protection of the abused spouse and any children of the relationship, and any ongoing concerns about parenting.

    Practical Tips:

    1. Avoid a “joint” claim for a divorce order. A “joint” claim is often attractive to people who separated rather amicably and when neither wants to “sue” the other for a divorce. However, a joint claim for divorce can be cumbersome. Both parties must either draft and sign the court documents, or provide joint instructions to the lawyer making the application. A “sole” claim by one spouse may be more straightforward. The other spouse can cooperate in accepting service of court documents and splitting the cost of obtaining a divorce order.

    2. A Notice of Family Claim (sole application) or a Notice of Joint Family Claim (joint application) must be filed to claim an order for divorce. If you read any materials that suggest a Petition or a Writ of Claim is needed, the materials pre-date the changes to the Supreme Court Family Rules on July 1, 2010. You should seek legal advice regarding the court rules and forms required to obtain a divorce order.

    3. Only a judge of the Supreme Court of British Columbia can make an order for divorce in BC. You cannot make a divorce application in the Provincial Court of British Columbia.

    4. A little planning can lower costs and stress. If you separated some years ago, and wish to re-marry, begin the
    application for a divorce well in advance of your next wedding date. Obtaining a divorce order takes approximately 4 to 6 months. In most cases, a divorce order becomes effective 31 days after it is made; the spouses are only then free to re-marry. If you re-marry outside BC, you may also need to obtain a Certificate of Divorce from the court registry that granted your divorce order; such certificates are not necessary to re-marry in BC.

    5. A government issued marriage certificate must be filed with a divorce application. If you were married in Canada, you can obtain a marriage certificate from the province or territory in which you were married. If you were married outside Canada, it may take some time to obtain the needed certificate. A certificate from a religious official is not sufficient; you need a government issued marriage certificate. In some cases, it is impossible to obtain a marriage certificate, and such circumstances must be set out in the divorce application.

    6. Personal service of the Notice of Family Claim filed by one spouse must be made on the
    other spouse. The spouse who filed the claim cannot serve the other spouse; a third party must serve the document. In most cases, you need a clear photograph of your spouse to provide to the person serving the court document.

    7. To file a claim for divorce in BC, one spouse needs to be ordinarily resident in BC for one year.

    8. Divorce applications are completed in two stages. In the first stage, the claim for divorce is filed at the court registry and served on the other spouse. After the required time for the other spouse to file a reply expires, the second stage may be completed. In this stage, affidavits regarding the grounds for divorce and child support are filed. If the application is abandoned after the first stage, no divorce order will be made.

    9. Only one divorce application can be made and finalized in Canada. If an application for a divorce is made in one province, but not completed, a second application cannot be completed in another province without withdrawing the first application. The Central Registry of Divorce Proceedings tracks divorce applications made in the different provinces. If you believe that a divorce application may have been made and then abandoned by either you or your spouse, you should seek legal advice to obtain a divorce order.

    © 2012 Karen Henry, LLB. [email protected]
    Lawyer, West Coast Family Law Centre, 1179 Fort Street, Victoria, BC, Canada, V8V 3L1

    Disclaimer: The above information is given as information only and is not given as legal advice.
    Do not rely on this information as advice for your specific circumstances. Talk to a lawyer who specializes in family law about the specific facts of your circumstances to get advice on how the law applies to you.

  • Wrong. This is a common, but incorrect, understanding of child support; it sounds fair, but does not recognize that one parent usually has a higher income than the other and thus a greater ability to absorb the costs of providing a home for their children on a half-time basis. It also does not recognize that child support should be reviewed annually as parents’ incomes and expenses change over time.

    The Federal Child Support Guidelines (the “Guidelines”), which were introduced by the federal government in 1997 are binding across Canada. Although they were introduced under the Divorce Act, the federal legislation that applies to married couples, the Guidelines have been adopted by many provinces and thus apply to common-law couples. They have been adopted under BC’s Family Relations Act and apply to married and unmarried parents in BC.

    Under the Guidelines, parents who share care of their children equally have a shared custody arrangement for the purposes of child support. Although section 9 of the Guidelines gives discretion to a judge to fully consider all the costs each parent incurs in providing a home for their children on a half-time basis, a simple set-off of the Guidelines table amounts is the most commonly used means for determining the amount of child support in shared custody arrangements. Here is an example of how the set-off under Guidelines works:

    2010 example: The parents have two children, aged 9 and 11, who have no special needs and attend school full-time. The children spend one week with their Dad at his house and one week with their Mom at her house. In 2010, Mom works full-time as a nurse and earns $55,000 per year; her income for child support determined under the Guidelines after allowable deductions is $53,825. Dad works full-time as fire fighter and earns $90,000 per year in 2010; his Guideline income after deductions is $89,471. When we look at the Guidelines table for BC, we see the following monthly amounts of child support for the parents’ incomes:


    One child

    Two children

    Three children

























    To calculate the set-off, we subtract Mom’s monthly child support table amount of $815 from Dad’s monthly child support table amount of $1308 with the result of $493. So, Dad would pay Mom $493 per month for child support. Please note: In addition, the parents would have to cover the children’s special expenses including child care, any private school costs, some extra-curricular activities, and medical, extended health and dental costs. Special expenses are defined in the Guidelines.

    2011 change in incomes: Mom received a pay increase and her income changed to $65,000 per year. Her income for child support determined under the Guidelines after allowable deductions is $63,100. Dad was injured at work and received lesser pay while off on a short medical leave. His income changed to $75,000, and his income for child support determined under the Guidelines after allowable deductions is $73,900. The calculation of the set-off would be as follows:


    One child

    Two children

    Three children

























    To calculate the set-off, we subtract Mom’s monthly child support table amount of $953 from Dad’s monthly child support table amount of $1106 for the amount of $153. So, Dad would pay Mom $153 per month for child support.

    Using the set-off approach is not appropriate for all family situations, and you should talk to a lawyer about the specific facts and costs of your parenting arrangements.

    Disclaimer: The above information is given as information only and is not given as legal advice. Do not rely on this information as advice for your specific circumstances. Talk to a lawyer who specializes in family law about the specific facts of your circumstances to get advice on how the law applies to you.

   Conflict Resolution

  • On July 24, 2015, I attended a one-day workshop on proposal-focused mediation, at the home of Michael and Tammy Lomax in Cobble Hill, Victoria B.C. It was the idyllic venue for a one-day workshop.

    Michael is a prominent mediator, mentor, collaborative practitioner and trainer who teaches the methods of high conflict training, created by Bill Eddy. Michael clearly demonstrated that he has the training chops to deliver an effective method in a one-day format.

    I have had the rare privilege of visiting the same village in Tuscany 2-3 times a year over 10 years when I lived in Austria, and surprisingly, Michael and Tammy’s back yard comes the closest to our favorite trattoria with its “loggia” that I have experienced so far. And if that was not enough, there were the goats and baby ducks. The locally made prosecco was a perfect accompaniment to the tasty light lunch on beautiful table settings.

    With feedback ranging from “Fantastic” to “When’s the next one?”, we assume the eight Mediate BC roster participants out of a total of 26 attendees had an equally satisfying experience.

    And what about the content of the workshop? High conflict disputes, as in intense or prolonged, are the most challenging to any dispute resolution professional. However the “New Ways for Mediation” by Bill Eddy provide the skills set to shift emotionally flooded clients to problem-solving by focusing on the relationship rather than the outcome. Michael presented a seamless interactive dialogue that provided theory of conflict styles in an entertaining format and then we had the opportunity to practice these newly minted skills, by way of role-playing. We all felt somewhat awkward initially, but by the end we were able to practice the three key skills: Connect with Empathy, Attention & Respect, Structure the dispute resolution from start to finish by teaching the clients to focus on the future by making proposals and agreements, and Educate them about their choices and the possible consequence of each choice. Michael emphasized tips that will resonate with me for a long time including: “the issue’s not the issue” (high conflict personalities seek to prolong the conflict as they are stuck in negative emotions so they benefit from mediators who can calm their emotions and get them back to problem-solving), and “you have a dilemma” (mediators need to keep the burden of problem-solving with the client). We received materials to provide to clients for pre-mediation coaching which I can attest to, work! Although I have been to three or four High Conflict workshops, I either learn new skills or refine existing ones. If only I can talk Michael and Tammy into a yoga retreat under the loggia!

    Elise Schopper is a collaborative lawyer and mediator in private practice in Victoria, BC with West Coast Family Law (www.westcoastfamilylaw.com). Elise is also an Associate Family Mediator with Mediate BC (www.mediatebc.com).


  • You may want to adopt your step-child so she or he can be a beneficiary of your estate or to recognize the close parent/child relationship that you have. The main requirement is that while your step-child was under the age of 19, that he or she lived with you as a member of your family and was maintained by you until he or she became self-supporting or an adult. This requirement is set out in section 44 of the Adoption Act. Of course, your step-child must consent to the adoption, and do so in writing. The BC Supreme Court requires that the birth parents of the step-child be notified of the adoption, so that they can object or consent to the adoption.

    If you are married to your step-child’s birth parent – and thus through that marriage became a step-parent, you will likely want to adopt under section 29(2) of the Adoption Act so that your spouse’s parental rights and responsibilities are preserved and you become a parent jointly with your spouse. If you became a step-parent through a common-law relationship, or your marriage or common-law relationship has now ended, you can still adopt your adult step-child if he or she consents.

    Adoption of an adult requires a consideration of your existing Will, or the making a new Will. The effect of an adoption order would be to make you a “parent” and your step-child your “child” for legal purposes – including Wills, other estate matters, Powers of Attorney, and health care decision making. The adopting step-parent, the birth parents and the adult child to be adopted must get legal advice on the meaning and effect of an adoption order, including the effects on inheritance, before signing consents to an adoption.

    Please be advised: The adoption of adults is not a means to dodge Canadian immigration policies. Trying to adopt an adult on false pretences is a breach of Canadian law and may hinder an immigration application.

    Disclaimer: The above information is given as information only and is not given as legal advice. Do not rely on this information as advice for your specific circumstances. Talk to a lawyer who specializes in family law about the specific facts of your circumstances to get advice on how the law applies to you.

             © 2015 Karen Henry, LLB. [email protected], West Coast Family Law Centre, 1179 Fort Street, Victoria, BC, Canada, V8V 3L1

  • Changing a birth date for an adopted child. How to obtain a court order (declaration from a judge).

    Do you need to change your child’s birth date? It may seem odd to give a child a new birthday, but this is the best course for some children adopted internationally. In the ten years, I have practised adoption law, I have been asked by parents of children from Nepal, Ethiopia and the Democratic Republic of Congo how they can legally correct a child’s birth date. As an adoptive parent myself, I can sympathize with these parents. The inaccurate birth dates mean extra paperwork and advocacy for them, and may mean missed or delayed opportunities for their children.

    Why are children’s birth dates inaccurate? There are many reasons. If a child has been abandoned, or found in the midst of a conflict zone, he or she may have been given an estimated birth date by orphanage staff or adoption officials. Sometimes more than one birth date may appear on a child’s official documents. Children are sometimes given birth dates to make them seem younger in the belief this will increase their likelihood of being adopted. In some countries, birth registration is not required, or birth records are missing or inadequate. Therefore, the birth records that exist may be inaccurate.

    Age does matter. For many reasons, it is important that your legal birth date be similar to your chronological birth date. If a child is younger on paper than his or her chronological age, he or she may have to wait one or more years to start school or college. The discrepancy can be problematic for any activity organized by chronological age, including individual or team sports, obtaining a drivers’ licence, or getting a job. For medical matters, age is often a factor in dosages, vaccines and other treatments.

    So, how can a parent correct a birth date? For adoptive parents in Canada, there are two ways to change a child’s birth date. This article will discuss one process available to residents of British Columbia, but the other Canadian provinces have a similar process. A person may apply to the Supreme Court of British Columbia for a declaration for a new birth date for a child. There is another process, in the context of making a citizenship application for a child, set out in the Immigration Canada policy manuals. I will not discuss that process in this article.

    When making a declaration of a new birth date for an adopted child, the Supreme Court of British Columbia exercises its parens patriae jurisdiction. This is the very broad jurisdiction over matters affecting citizens that our superior courts have inherited from the divine right of kings. The court, however, needs reliable evidence before exercising this jurisdiction. Evidence is generally provided in sworn written documents called Affidavits. Under our current BC court rules, a request to our Supreme Court to change a child’s birth date would be set out in a Petition, with Affidavits as supporting evidence.

    I recommend provided the following evidence by Affidavit:

    1. A dentist’s opinion. A dentist, considering the root formation of a child’s teeth visible in an x-ray, and the presence and eruption of teeth above the gum line, may be able to provide a range of actual birth dates for the child, hopefully narrowed to a three or six month period.

    2. A pediatrician’s opinion. An overall assessment of the child’s development, including her gross and fine motor skills, cognitive and emotional development, and a comparison to standard growth charts is very helpful for the court. If the child is in school, the pediatrician can review the child’s report cards, and these documents may be provided to the court as well. If a speech development assessment has been completed, it should be provided to the pediatrician and possibly the court.

    3. Known information about the child’s birth. A summary of the information provided to the parents by the orphanage staff, adoption facilitators, and/or government officials about the child’s birth and the circumstances leading to the child’s availability for adoption should be set out in an Affidavit.

    4. A radiologist’s opinion. This is optional, but should be considered. A radiologist, after considering x-rays of the child’s hand or wrist, may be able to provide a narrow range of actual birth dates. However, the age range established by x-rays may be much broader than that established by a dentist, especially if malnutrition delayed the child’s physical growth.

    In 2013, I appeared in court regarding a Petition filed on behalf of one of my clients. We had the following evidence before the court: a dentist had determined the child was born in a three month period, a pediatrician had opined the child was born in a six month period and a radiologist gave an eighteen month period for the child’s actual birth date. The narrow three month range provided by the dentist was right in the middle of the six month period provided by the pediatrician. Both of these periods were in the middle of the range provided by the radiologist. So, in the end, we asked the court to declare the child’s birth date to be a date right in the middle of the time period provided by the dentist. And so, the child had a new birthday!

             © 2015 Karen Henry, LLB. [email protected], West Coast Family Law Centre, 1179 Fort Street, Victoria, BC, Canada, V8V 3L1

    Disclaimer: The above information is given as information only and is not given as legal advice. Do not rely on this information as advice for your specific circumstances. Talk to a lawyer who specializes in adoption law about the specific facts of your circumstances to get personal legal advice.

  • As resident of BC, you can adoption children from many provinces, states and countries. My rough estimate is that at least one million children could be matched with a resident of BC. As of May 2016, children can be adopted through our BC adoption agencies from:

    • BC and the other provinces and territories in Canada;
    • USA: The population of the USA is approximately 325 million people. There are several hundred adoption agencies in the USA. There are many newborns and older children in need of permanent families;
    • Africa: Ethiopia, Zambia;
    • Asia: China, India, Japan, Philippines, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Vietnam;
    • Caribbean: Haiti, St. Vincent and the Grenadines;
    • Central/South America: Colombia, Guyana, Nicaragua;
    • Eastern Europe: Bulgaria, Kazakhstan, Romania, Ukraine;
    • Pacific Islands: Samoa.

    © 2016 Karen Henry, LLB. [email protected]
    Lawyer, West Coast Family Law Centre
    1179 Fort Street, Victoria, BC, Canada, V8V 3L1

  • To make good decisions about adoption choices, you need reliable information, specific to the province (or state) and country in which you live. The laws regarding adoption in the province of British Columbia are different from the laws regarding adoption in Alberta or Washington State.

    So, where you can you find reliable adoption information? Here are some tips:

    • Start with websites of adoption agencies, provincial and federal governments, and lawyers who specialize in adoption finalization.
    • Look for adoption agencies that are accredited under the Hague Convention on Intercountry Adoption. Canada is a full signatory to the Hague Convention so all adoption agencies in Canada are Hague accredited.
    • Search for programs in the countries or regions from which you may want to adopt a child.
    • Note partnerships between agencies. Sometimes there are country program partnerships between adoption agencies in different provinces or countries. If you are a resident of BC, you can adopt children from another province or from the USA. However, in both cases, you must work with an adoption agency in BC.
    • Ignore websites or agencies that offer to complete adoption applications for a flat fee in many different provinces or states. It is very difficult for a lawyer or agency to be competent in many jurisdictions.
    • Be careful about legal advice in online adoption forums or blogs, as the law in your province or country may be different, and laws and policies can change quickly.

    I recommend the following websites (listed in alphabetical order):

    Adoption Agencies and associations in BC and other provinces:

    British Columbia:

    Rest of Canada:

    Adoption Agencies in the USA:

    Medical information about international adoption:

    © 2016 Karen Henry, LLB. [email protected]
    Lawyer, West Coast Family Law Centre
    1179 Fort Street, Victoria, BC, Canada, V8V 3L1

  • Most adoptive parents look forward to getting that final document, the court order for their adoption. Finalizing an adoption in BC involves an application to the Supreme Court after meeting all the requirements of our Adoption Act. The adoptive parent or parents must be residents of BC (the definition of “resident” is set out in the adoption legislation); the child to be adopted may be born in BC, another province in Canada, or in another country.

    The major requirements for an adoption application are as follows:

    • If the adoptive parents are not related to the child to be adopted by blood or marriage, the adoption must be facilitated by one of the adoption agencies in BC;
    • The necessary court documents must be prepared and filed. These include a Petition, supporting Affidavits (sworn written evidence), a report to the court from a BC adoption agency, the child’s registration of live birth document (or equivalent) and a form for BC’s department of Vital Statistics;
    • The child to be adopted must have been in the care of his or her adoptive parent(s) for at least six months before the adoption application is made; and
    • If possible, the consents of the birth parents, usually in the form of an Affidavit, must be obtained and filed with the application.

    Some countries, such as China and Russia, require that adoptions be finalized in that country through a court or government office before the adoptive parents can leave with their child to return to Canada. Most provinces in Canada, many states in the United States, and countries such as Japan and the Philippines, allow adoptive parents to take their child home and then finalize the adoption in BC.

    An adoption should be accompanied by a consideration of your existing will, or the making of a will if you don’t have one. We suggest adoptive parents also make Powers of Attorney to appoint one or more people to manage their finances if the parent becomes incapable; you will want to appoint someone who will take good care of you and your children.

    Disclaimer: The above information is given as information only and is not given as legal advice. Do not rely on this information as advice for your specific circumstances. Talk to a lawyer who specializes in family law about the specific facts of your circumstances to get advice on how the law applies to you.

   Cohabitation and Marriage Agreements

  • Yes, and more.

    A Pre-Nup or Marriage Agreement ** is a practical way to show your spouse that you love them. It says you are concerned about their future, want to protect them and are committed to your relationship.

    Your spouse may have assets earned through many years of hard work, or remaining after a previous divorce, or inherited from their parents with the expectation they will pass them onto their own children. Or the love of your life may have agreed to leave a good paying job to live with you in your community. To protect your spouse’s assets, estate or future, you can set out in an Agreement how you will own property during your relationship, if you separate or if one of you dies.

    You can also include agreements on how you will share your incomes, own a house, or help your adult children or elderly parents.

    While we’ve all heard a nasty story or two about someone being handed a Pre-Nup to sign hours before the wedding ceremony – this is not the norm.

    Negotiating an Agreement does NOT need to be stressful or adversarial. If there are matters you think would be difficult to raise with your spouse, we can help you. After you’ve discussed them with your spouse, and reached some agreements, you’ll appreciate that they’ve been resolved.

    The time and money spent on a Marriage Agreement is a good investment in your relationship and your future.

    __________________________________________________________________** “Pre-Nups” or “Pre-Nuptial Agreements” – are American words. The equivalent term under our BC Family Relations Act is a “Marriage Agreement”. For people living common law, we use the term “Cohabitation Agreement.”

    Disclaimer: The above information is given as information only and is not given as legal advice. Do not rely on this information as advice for your specific circumstances. Talk to a lawyer who specializes in family law about the specific facts of your circumstances to get advice on how the law applies to you.